Monday, May 9, 2016

Day 6 - Gibraltar (after day 5 at sea)

Gibraltar after a cool day at sea. Pouring rain. Raining cats and dogs. Soaking wet feet before even getting out of the port (should have done my flipflops!!!) ... Did not take to many pictures, because of the rain, I did not want to ruin my phone or my camera. I was tempted to just go back to my cabin and join these two guys..



I am not a big fan of Gibraltar, we have been 3-4 times before.  And when the weather is so terrible....

The main street is lined with tax-free stores, and of course, shopping-crazy people. This time the ship is filled with Brits (they are a fun bunch though, party party party, great fun to cruise with them), and they want to bring their liquor and sigarettes home. We are not really in to that.

But we feel we have to go in to the town, just to have been there... and we always have lunch when we are in port. So we walked the Main Street, up to the first cozy looking plaze, and ended at Horseshoe bar, got a nice table, and sat there for hours, having a great lunch (me spinach quiche, he did the vegetarian breakfast, everything really good). Even their house red wine was good, so we forgot about the lousy weather and had a good time. My jacket dried, and my boots as well!

We have been to the Rock, we have seen the monkeys, been there done that. Did not buy a t-shirt. This is how the Rock looked like today...
The Rock in the rain....
Back on the ship I had my after noon nap, then to Schooner bar to see some people - and for dinner tonight we did Jamie's italian. Food was good, but not at all worth the 30 USD per person we had to pay. Too expensive, Royal! We don't mind paying, but let it be worth it! If I had had only the Penne Carbonara I had planned, I would have been really disappointed. The Carbonara was excellent, but not worth 30 USD. I had dessert of course, Tira Misu, delish! - but still 30 USD is way up there. Service was not too good either.  We'll give them another chance, as we don't have a choice... 46 days to go... so...  this is Per's cheese cake, he ate it all...


Later, after doing some bars and checking out the show, we went back to the stateroom, we had received an apology from the restaurant manager in the American Icon restaurant, they serve American food, baked potato - no sour cream??!!? Not good enough Royal! but with apologizes like this.... I can live without sour cream...

Chocolate covered strawberries...
Some chatting with good friends and family on each side of the Atlantic, thank you Internet for making me able to stay in touch with the important people in my life!!. Tomorrow day at sea, hope the weather soon gets better... rain is ok at home, not when your only escape is a small stateroom....  

Darwin my new best friend will leave us tomorrow in Barcelona, he is re-stationed to the suites, as he is so good. I knew it! He is to good to be real. He promised to tell our new person how we like things, that I like my Ice bucket refilled every afternoon, not to tuck the covers under the mattress, he washes our private thermo coffee mugs... and a lot more. He is awesome. And I love his creative towel animals.

No comments: